Shipwreck off Lesvos: Activists on Lesvos confirm 16 dead

UPDATE: So far 16 bodies have been recovered. the bodies of 6 women 2 children 8 men. 6 men and one child were picked up…

Опубликовано Philippa Kempson 24 апреля 2017 г.

Shipwreck off Lesvos: 12 persons feared dead

Via Ekathimerini  – At least eight people, including a child, drowned when an inflatable boat carrying refugees and migrants sank off Greece’s Lesvos island, the Greek coastguard said on Monday.

The United Nations refugee agency UNHCR said the number of dead was at least 12. Citing survivors, it said 25 people were on board. Two survivors, one of whom is pregnant, were taken to the island’s main hospital, the coastguard said.

Italian journalist Del Grande released from detention in Turkey

Via Kom News – Gabriele Del Grande, an Italian journalist detained by Turkish authorities since 10 April, was released on Monday and is on his way back to Italy, said Minister of Foreign Affairs Angelino Alfano on Twitter. “Gabriele Del grande is free. I just talked to him, he is on his way back to Italy. I had the joy to inform his family. We are awaiting him,” Alfano said. Continue reading Italian journalist Del Grande released from detention in Turkey

Pre-detention jail in Kos almost full

Via Are You Syrious – After the massive deportation on the 20th April of 60 people from Kos to Turkey, the pre-detention jail has already filled up with about 35–40 new people. Of the 60 who were deported, 36 had not applied for asylum, despite the possibility to do so. Volunteers complain about the lack of information given to refugees about their right to apply for asylum and their right to receive visitors. Six solidarity groups for refugees in Kos held their first meeting this Saturday and discussed how to provide legal support and medical help.

On the hunger strike of Kurdish refugees in Lesvos

Via Are You Syrious – One refugee was rushed to the hospital with first symptoms of dehydration on the third day of the hunger strike in Moria, Lesvos. The twelve Syrian hunger strikers are neither eating nor drinking. The Legal Centre Lesbos says they have been in Moria for up to ten months and are protesting the rejection of their applications on admissibility grounds, as the administration claims Turkey is a “safe country”. The centre also notes that eleven of them are Kurdish and could be deported to Turkey, where Kurds are “systematically persecuted and repressed”. One of the hunger strikers is an unaccompanied minor and should be excempt from the procedure, but doesn’t have a way to prove his age. They also criticize their inability to move from Lesvos to the mainland. Continue reading On the hunger strike of Kurdish refugees in Lesvos

Deportations, more deportations and arbitray detention…What’s going on on Lesvos

The NoBorder Kitchen Lesvos published a report on the situation in Lesvos with a focus on deportation to Turkey and ‘voluntary’ returns supported by IOM to countries of origin:

In the last weeks the repression on Lesvos continues. There have been more forced deportations to Turkey and the asylum procedure is still a tangle of bureaucratic nightmares, especially for people from certain nationalities. This situation creates a great hopelessness. Many peoples mental health is getting worse and a lot of people sign for a so called „voluntary return” to their home countries as their only option to get out of this island and not spend months in prison in Turkey. Continue reading Deportations, more deportations and arbitray detention…What’s going on on Lesvos

Preparing for More – European ›Border Control‹ in the Backdrop of the New Migration Law in Turkey

By Fritz Rickert. Originally published in movements 3 (1) . Journal for Critical Migration and Border Regime Studies

This article analyses the background of measures taken at the EU-Turkey border that were part of the EU-Turkey deal in 2016 or came along with the latter. In doing so, it examines the new Turkish Law on Foreigners and International Protection and takes a closer look at its development. Hereby, the paper shows on the one hand that this national law was strongly influenced by the EU and that it constitutes an EU-orientated and often repressive migration policy in Turkey itself as well as at its borders. On the other hand, the text makes clear that the enforcement of the measures at the Turkish-European borders since 2016 would not have been possible without the establishment of this law on foreigners. To summarize, these current attempts at sealing European borders are not just the outcome of negotiations between the EU and Turkey in 2015, but rather a continuation of a long standing engagement of the EU with Turkey in order to control and decrease migration to Europe. Continue reading Preparing for More – European ›Border Control‹ in the Backdrop of the New Migration Law in Turkey

Reporting on the Turkish-EU Border Regime